Wednesday, March 13, 2019

International Womens Day

We are creatures of habits....bad habits!  My weekly blog has stretched out like Helen Parr (of the Incredibles Movie) to three weekly.  Doh!  I feel like a butterfly flitting from moments in time, usually 3-4 week bands and completely obliterating regular tasks in favour of the current mood. I was surprised to see a late payment charge on my regular phone and power bills as I had put into place 'alarms' to remind me.  Obviously not alarming enough as I went into online banking and discovered I had missed a month of bill paying?? The reason was I had two holidays within that month and had studiously ignored regular tasks. I'm only 53, so there is plenty of time to get it right.

I digress, back to my "weekly" blog.

Women eh, I could wax lyrical endlessly about them.  I am one, I produced two more, I drink coffee and wine with a lot of them, I was cut out of one 53 years ago, my country is led by one and most of all, I am inspired by them daily.

I was asked to go to a breakfast by my bridesmaid (duties ceased 30 years ago) at Duncan Cotterill for International Womens Day.  I ummed and ahhed at the early morning wake up required, then put on my big girl pants and was happily jolted out of blissful slumber at 6.30am for a 7.30am start in the city.  The right side of my face needed a good hour to catch up.

 Women of all ages, shapes, and occupations filed into the 100 seat room, and chatted amicably with each other.  Dress for Success was the chosen charity, ASB bank had supplied the dainty food and Duncan Cotterill the venue. 

The three speakers were varied beginning with Hannah Duder of Indigo and Iris, a young personal friend of our family, so I was familiar with her brand.  She lit up the room with her smile, message and authenticity. Her take home message was; you can make money and do good simultaneously, as she was living, breathing proof of this.  She is a driven youth and her desire to improve humanity is a sight to behold.

Kerry Jackson of MM Linen was up next.  More relatable to me as she was in her 50's.  That was where the relatibilty ended.  She started off slowly, drawing you in to her story and graciously sharing her personal life which touched on low self esteem issues, marital problems and eventual  career halting issues. She spoke with confidence and ease as if we were a room of her friends and regaled us with her meteoric rise to fame and fortune within the short space of four years that she had achieved this.  Jobless, divorced and with a child at 50, she now runs a company that has over 500 stockists worldwide.  She acts almost as surprised as us at how she has achieved this feat.

Hannah mentioned in her talk that as women we need to collaborate, not compete....'leave the ladder out' and help fellow women up it. 

The final morning lineup was Rosa and Margo of Two Raw Sisters. They started their journey very early and have had amazing success and experience in their short lives. In their twenties they are  full of vim and vigour for their chosen path of bringing a 'plant based' diet to the world.

Afterwards on the drive home, it struck me, that as a woman ages, they gain more confidence; financially, communally and spiritually but still seem to fight the battle of aging.  Buying into anti-aging products, continuing to dye their hair, contemplating anti-aging plastic surgery, and still working on the outside package as opposed to the winner within. 

This group of women intrigued me.  The reciprocal lessons learned between two generations.
Who was whose role models?






No comments:

Post a Comment